Monday, December 20, 2010

Newbury and Dartmouth in the Snow at Night

Oil on canvas, 22" x 24", 2010, $2,100.00 This piece was painted over the 
course of the winter of 2009, all en plein aire.
 At least one painting session occured while it was actually snowing (hard)
 The effects of the snowflakes on my oils 
were kind of cool. The snow chunks bound up in the oils creating clumpy, 
gritty textures. Another factor that 
manifested during that session was fear. While I was painting I could here 
a group of rowdy guys hanging out loudly
 somewhere nearby. I thought they were in front of what used to be Joe's 
over on Dartmouth and Newbury. 
(It's now The Met Bar). I could hear their guffawing and threatening 
snowball type comments to passers by. 
I even heard one girl standing up for herself saying, "You wouldn't throw 
one at a pregnant woman would you?" 
I heard the group reluctantly acquiesce but just barely. I was getting 
nervous because I surmised that if they 
noticed me stationed at my easel painting on Newbury Street, in the snow, 
at night, they would almost have 
no choice in their alcohol fueled, neanderthal pack mentality, but to target 
me with snowballs. Not wanting 
to deal with such matters, I hurriedly got what I could out of that very exciting 
and productive session, packed 
it up, and got under cover. The blue awnings on the left of the painting with 
the gold dots on them were 
emblematic of Joe's American Bar and Grille at that address for years. Now 
Joe's has moved one block up 
to Newbury and Exeter.



No comments:

Post a Comment