Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Public Garden with Bridge and Both Hancocks

Oil on canvas, 11" x 14", 2010, $910.00

I started this piece in early fall before it got too cold, although this particular day was colder than it should have been, and windy. So I set up in the park on a little spit of land jutting out into the lagoon with this exciting view before me. I was happy to be trying to capture so many cool Boston elements like, the suspension bridge, lagoon, and the iconic buildings in the background. As usual, I had a heck of a time getting the composition to gel properly, with much revision and re - starting in the drawing phase on the canvas which I usually do with thinned out burnt sienna. Once I finally had blocked in the drawing where I wanted it I was so cold that when I hammered in the color, the impetus to get feeling back into my fingers really helped put some "energy" into the handling of the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment