Thursday, November 25, 2010

Commonwealth Ave in Springtime


Oil on panel, 9" x 12", 2010, SOLD
This piece was actually begun on Easter morning, 2010. I was getting ready to leave the studio for the cape since Boston was certainly closed for business that beautiful Sunday morning, (also - luckily - I was heading down to be with my family).
But when I got outside the weather and the city were so nice I couldn't leave right away. (I find I often have a hard time leaving Boston - 'cause it's so wonderful).
So I turned around, hiked up the three easy flights of stairs to Sean Boyce Studios, grabbed my paintbox, ran down to Commonwealth Ave, and started having at it.
 While I was painting, I noticed a guy taking pictures in the distance. He was also obviously spell bound by that beautiful spring morning amidst the blooming dogwood trees, fresh April air, and stately townhouses.
I recognized the photographer as Charlie Wang, a contemporary of mine in the Boston Art Scene. Mr. Wang has been selling prints of his Boston theme watercolor and oil paintings on the corner of Dartmouth Street and Newbury for about ten years now. He stopped and we talked for a few minutes then he continued photographing on his way.
A few weeks later Mr. Wang said,
        "Come here Sean, I have something to show you"
He rifled through a stack of his prints and pulled out a beautiful Spring scene of Commonwealth Avenue - the same I had painted. as my eyes greedily ate up the painting I noticed a lone figure in the left foreground. It was a painter, set up at his easel working - it was me!
I was so honored to be included in Charlie's canon that I had to of course support the arts and buy the print.
So if you want to crack Charlie up and support my imminent meteoric rise to stardom go up to him and ask for the Commonwealth Avenue Spring scene with Sean Boyce at the easel in it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment